1.15.2008

Grandad


My Grandfather passed away on January 8. He was 96 years old. He lost his sight and the use of his legs two years ago, and resided in Continuing Care in Drumheller. His later years were difficult, because he was always a "Doer" it was hard to be confined and living in the dark and relying on others for everything. As I pondered this, and the fact that he had lived 17 1/2 years since my Grandma passed away, I wondered why he had to linger so long. The answer came. There is a great refinement that comes when we suffer. There were tender times, when I came to visit and he held my hand tightly as we visited. He also was able to have a most wonderful experience a few years ago, in meeting a half sister he had never known about. Meeting her was a highlight of his twilight years. He would talk of his visit to her home in England and her visit to see him every time I came to see him. I am glad he was able to have those years, even though they weren't easy. I am also glad he can be now enjoying "happy reunions" on the other side.